As Storm Desmond lashed the UK earlier this week, I spent most of my time wrapped up in a sleeping bag trying to fight off illness. As a result work has been slow going this month.
I recently came across an article on narrative structure which solved a problem I didn’t realise I had. The plot points in my story were in the wrong place. As a result, my story didn’t flow properly and the pacing was all over the place. Knowing structure was important, I decided early on to follow the traditional three act structure for my first book. But while I was so busy working on the inciting incident and rising tension and pinches, I completely neglected the position of the plot points (if you don’t know what they are, Melissa Donovan summarises them better that I could in this article).
Something had been bothering me about the story for a while and it’s a relief to finally figure out what the problem was. It is however daunting to know how much more work is now necessary to fix it. I’m going to have to throw out much of what I’ve written and add in lots of new scenes to fix the structure. Better to figure it out now rather than later I suppose.
At least my house isn’t flooded.
© 2015, Gavin Zanker. Licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Photo by Gillie Rhodes licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.0 Generic.